BEd Special Education is a 2-years professional course that focuses on providing special and advanced skills and training to teachers to educate children with physical and mental disorders viz. hearing impairment, visual impairment, locomotors disability, autism, etc.
- BEd Special Education aims to develop special educators for students with hearing impairment, locomotor disability, visual impairment, autism, and multiple disabilities.
- This course deals with the education of those students for whom the teaching procedures are to be individually planned and monitored systematically.
- BEd Special Education graduates can work as Counsellor, Tutor, Content Writer, etc with NGOs, Educational Institutes, Media Houses, etc
- BEd Special Education focus areas for training are self-help skills, activities for daily living, socialization, language promotion, and motor cognitive skills.
The B.Ed special education course consists of theory papers as per the following scheme:
- Common Papers: 4
- Specialization Papers : 3
- Methodology Papers or methods related to specialization: 2
Each semester is accompanied by a practical exam that must be fulfilled within the campus or outside. The external practical would include teaching in a special setting for a minimum fixed period of hours.
The number of practical courses increases as per the semester. Around three practicals are needed in Semester I, whereas Semester II, includes four. They are also accompanied by assignments and presentations within the institute or in special schools.
Semester III includes five practical assignments and presentations.
Bir Tikendrajit University is one of the top institutions located in India and was established in the year 2020. Bir Tikendrajit University is a leading educational establishment in India. It also ranks 501 in the World QS status. Numerous universities located in West Bengal have now affiliated with Bir Tikendrajit University.
- University Grants Commission- UGC
- Rehabilitation Council of India- RCI
- Association of Indian Universities- AIU
- The Bar Council of India- BCI
- Pharmacy Council of India- PCI
The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) was set up as a registered society in 1986. The Act was amended by Parliament in 2000 to make it more broad-based. The mandate given to RCI is to regulate and monitor services given to persons with disability, standardize syllabi and maintain a Central Rehabilitation Register of all qualified professionals and personnel working in the field of Rehabilitation and Special Education. The Act also prescribes punitive action against unqualified persons delivering services to persons with disabilities.
- B. Ed in Visual Impairment (VI)
- B. Ed in Hearing Impairment (HI)
Special education in visual impairment deals with the education of those students for whom the teaching procedures are to be individually planned and monitored systematically. After doing a B.Ed. course in special education in visual impairment, an educator is able to provide the visually impaired students with a higher level of self-sufficiency in their learning and day-to-day living. The teachings are imparted through classroom instructions, practical experience and conducting research. The focus of the courses is more on learning by experience and research.
The duration of the course is two academic years.
- Explain and respond to the educational, physical and vocational needs of persons with disabilities.
- Develop skills in systematic assessment
- Develop curriculum for persons with visual Impairment (VI).
- Plan and implement educational programmes needed for the children with special needs (VI)
- Familiarize themselves with the management of special education programmes for children with VI.
- Coordinate and collaborate with parents, family, doctors and the community to help children with disabilities become productive and useful members of the society.
- Develop abilities and skills to create awareness and Sensitivity in the society towards persons with disabilities.
- Promote and facilitate the inclusion of children with special education needs in the mainstream.
- Teacher in a special school/unit/class
- Teacher in a regular school
- Resource/Remedial Teacher in a regular school.
- Teacher in Hospital School
- Special Educator in Child Guidance Clinic and Social Service Organization
- Candidates who have completed bachelor’s degree namely B.A, B.Sc, B.Com or Master’s degree in Social Sciences/ Humanities from a recognized university.
- Candidates must hold a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in their 10+2+3 examination. Course Content of specialization
- Introduction to visual impairment
- The educational perspective of visual impairment
- Learning methods and strategies for teaching children with visual Impairment
Special education in hearing impairment deals with the education of those students for whom the teaching procedures are to be individually planned and monitored systematically. After doing a B.Ed. course in special education (hearing impairment), an educator is able to provide the hearing impaired students with a higher level of self-sufficiency in their learning and day-to-day living. The teachings are imparted through classroom instructions, practical experience and conducting research. The focus of the courses is more on learning by experience and research.
The duration of the course is two academic years.
- This program aims to develop special educators for students with hearing impairment disabilities.
- Indian education system and human development
- Educational needs of the children with hearing impairment
- Specific disabilities and how to deal with them
- Working with children with hearing impairment disability
- Improve upon one's knowledge and skills for professional development
The minimum qualification required to pursue B.Ed Special Education (Hearing Impairment) course is a pass degree in B.A. / B.Sc. or any other equivalent degree. Some colleges require a minimum of 45% marks in the qualifying exam to be eligible to pursue this course.
The duration of B.Ed Special Education (Hearing Impairment) course is 2 years.
- Educational psychology
- Education in India
- Introduction to various disabilities
- Assessing children with disabilities
- Intervention and teaching strategies
- Education planning and management
After undergoing B.Ed Special Education (Hearing Impairment) course one can get employment in both regular schools as well as special care schools. One can also further his/her education by undergoing a postgraduate program in special education such as M.Ed Special Education (Hearing Impairment). Government jobs are also available in the education department.
- Mark sheets and certificates from SSLC onwards
- Id proof