A Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is the most popular highest academic level degree awarded after completing a course of study. PhDs are granted for programs in a wide range of academic disciplines. Because it is an earned research degree, persons pursuing a Ph.D. must undertake original research that advances knowledge, typically in the form of a dissertation, and defend their work in front of a panel of other experts on the subject. A Ph.D. is frequently required for employment as a university professor, researcher, or scientist in many professions. Individuals who have received a Doctor of Philosophy degree may use the term Doctor with their name in several jurisdictions.
There are two modes of Ph. D degrees offered to students who want to further their education. A student can enrol in either a full-time or part-time Ph.D. program based on their time and availability.
- Full-Time PhD is a normal Doctor of Philosophy program. The duration of these programs ranges between 4 – 6 years.
- The cost of a full time Doctor of Philosophy program is the highest compared to other modes of PhD degrees.
- Government/ Semi-Government Fellowship Recipients, Institute Research Scholars with Teaching Assistance and Self-financed Candidates generally prefer to pursue full-time PhD program.
- PhD Programs can sometimes be done on a part-time basis. Candidates, who are working in reputed research organizations, academic Institutes and industries, situated preferably in the close vicinity to the campus are majorly granted Part-Time PhD.
- Part-time PhD takes 7-8 years to complete since Part-time doctoral students must complete the same number of academic credits and other requirements as full-time students.
- Students doing part-time PhD will have to attend a limited number of classes.
- Doctor of Philosophy students doing part-time PhD must have at least 1 year of work experience and must have NOC from the employer.
Bir Tikendrajit University is a newly established Private university located in South View, Imphal West, Manipur. It was established in 2020 under u/s 2(f) of the UGC act 1956. The University offers a wide range of Undergraduate, Post-Graduate, PG Diploma, diplomas, certificates, and Doctorate Courses in different fields of Engineering, Education, Physical Education, Law, Pharmacy, Hotel Management, Commerce, Humanities, Social Science etc.
As of 2012, 665 colleges that are offering Bachelor of Education (B. Ed.) degree courses are affiliated with the university. Some of these affiliated colleges are also offering Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree courses also.
The Government of Tamil Nadu enacted Act No.33 of 2008 to provide for the establishment and incorporation of Teachers Education University in the State of Tamil Nadu for promoting excellence in teacher’s education and as a division of Tamil Nadu Education council. Further the Act came into effect from 1 July 2008 by a Gazette Notification issued in G.O.M.S.256, Higher Education (K2) Department, dated 25/06/2008.
- College Principal
- Chief Learning Officer
- School Superintendent
- Elementary, Middle, and High School Principal
- Academic Dean
- Executive Director of Education
- Master's degree holders are eligible for admission to doctoral programs
- The students should have at least 50-55% marks in post-graduation.
- In some universities, admission is offered on the basis of interviews. It may be supplemented with a written exam.
- More preference is given to candidates who have work experience in the field of research.
- Candidates who have an M.Phil or equivalent degree awarded by a recognized university in India or abroad are also eligible to apply for the Ph.D. Programme.
Ph.D. research proposal
Finally, in order to be considered for a place in a Ph.D. program, applicants are expected to submit a Ph.D. research proposal.
- A research proposal outlines your proposed research topics in the context of previous work.
- Highlights your awareness of current debates within the field.
- Demonstrates a suitable level of analysis.
- Identifies relevant gaps in current knowledge.
- Suggests a relevant research hypothesis fill some of these gaps.
- Explains your intended research methodology in sufficient detail.
- Suggests a relevant research hypothesis fill some of these gaps
- Suggests a relevant research hypothesis fill some of these gaps
The SOP should demonstrate the expertise of the candidate and should show why he/she selected the respective university. A Statement of Purpose (SOP), also known as a research statement or a letter of intent, is written to the admission panel and talks about your career path, interests, professional contributions, goals and the driving force behind pursuing a particular program. It is the most integral part of your application that decides your admission in your preferred institution.
Regardless of the type of Ph.D. program, whether part-time or full-time, they can be competitive, and the candidate should ensure that their application stands out to the admissions committee. The admission process is outlined here, along with the required documents.
Step 1- SOP and Synopsis submission
The candidates are requested to send the statement of purpose (SOP) and a research proposal/ synopsis in the respective research area to the concerned Mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Step 2- Online documents submission
The candidates should send the complete scanned academic certificates from SSLC to PG to the given mail address. The incomplete or unclear certificates should be rejected from the selection process.
STEP 3- Document verification
The academic documents along with the research proposal and SOP will be forwarded to the University for Verification.
Step 4- Selection notice and registration
Within 7 working days, the documents will be verified and the selected candidates will be intimated through Email and the candidates will be registered in the University. In this step, the originals of the certificates should be submitted to the university.
Step 5- Entrance examination
An online entrance examination will be conducted for the admission process. The admission will be in regard to the marks obtained in the exam.
Step 6- declaration of result
The result will be published and the eligible candidates will get intimation through their E-mail.
Step 7- Original submission, Admission and enrolment
Original certificates should be submitted in this step and the candidate get enrolled to the course.
Step 8- Admission to Ph. D
The candidates can start their research work according to the further SOP (systematic operation procedure) updates from Global Academy.
The Ph. D programs may extend from 3 years to 7 years according to the scholar’s convenience and academic performance
- Languages- (English/ Hindi)
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Computer Science
- Psychology/ Sociology
- Physics Information
- Technology Commerce
- Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Business Administration
- Journalism & Mass Communication
- Library & Information Science
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Computer Applications
I had a great experience to learn with Global Academy. Study material is so helpful and they provide previous years question papers too. Thank you
Aabel Lona Martin
At Global Academy, we understand the need for financial support necessary to give wings to your dreams. That’s why we provide educational loan support for you. More.