NATIONAL SCHOOL OF OPEN SCHOOLING (NIOS) is an open school for a heterogeneous group of learners up to plus two level. Initially it was a project with in-built flexibilities by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in 1979. In 1986, the National Policy on Education suggested strengthening of Open School System for extending open learning facilities in a phased manner at secondary level all over the country as an independent system with its own curriculum and examination leading to certification.
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) provides opportunities to interested learners by making available the following Courses/Programmes of Study through open and distance learning mode.
- Secondary Education Course
- Senior Secondary Education Course
This Course is designed for those who have passed the 10th standard or equivalent examination from a recognised Board and would like to continue their education towards a Senior Secondary Certification, equivalent to XII standard.
Your can choose subjects from the Scheme of Studies given below.
However, you will be required to successfully complete a minimum of five subjects with at least one language or at most two languages, which is compulsory for Certification.
- Hindi (301), English (302), Bangla (303), Tamil (304), Odia (305), Urdu (306), Gujarati (307), Sanskrit (309), Punjabi (310)
- Mathematics (311), Home Science(321), Psychology(328), Geography(316), Economics(318), Business Studies(319), Painting (332), Data entry Operation(336)
- Veda Adhyan (345), Sanskrit Vyakaran (346),Bharatiya Darshan (347),Sanskrit Sahitya (348)
- Physics (312), History (315), Library and Information Sc. (339), Environmental Science (333)
- Chemistry (313), Political Science (317), Mass Communication (335), Military Studies (374)
- Biology (314), Accountancy (320), Introduction to Law (338), Military History (375),
- Computer Science (330), Sociology (331), Tourism (337), Physical Education and Yoga (373)
Learner can opt only one subject from each of Group C, D, E and F
- Five Subjects with at least one language or at most two languages.
- Minimum of five subjects.
- Two additional subjects can also be taken.
- The Learners are however advised to select the subjects as per their future plan of study and work.
- Minimum one and Maximum two language subjects from group A are permissible for certification. However, third language can be offered as an additional subject.
- At the Senior Secondary level, NIOS provides flexibility in the choice of subjects/courses, pace of learning, and transfer of credits from CBSE, some Board of School Education and State Open Schools to enable learner's continuation.
- A learner is extended as many as nine chances to appear in public examinations spread over a period of five years.
- The credits gained are accumulated till the learner clears required credits for certification.
- The learning strategies include; learning through printed self-instructional material, audio and video programmes, participating in personal contact programme (PCP), and Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA).
- Enrichment is also provided to the learners through the half yearly magazine "Open Learning".
- The Study Material is made available in English, Hindi and Urdu mediums. The On-Demand Examination System (ODES) is in operation at Secondary and Senior Secondary stage.
- NIOS offers 28 subjects in eight mediums (Hindi, English, Urdu, Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati, Malayalam and Odia) for Secondary Examinations and 28 subjects in Hindi, English, Urdu, Bengali and Odia mediums for Senior Secondary Examinations.
- Besides these, NIOS has provision of 20 vocational subjects in combination with Academic subjects at Senior Secondary level.
NIOS operates through a network of five Departments, 23 Regional Centers, two Sub Regional Centers, two NIOS Cells, and more than 7400 Study Centers (AIs/AVIs) spread all over the country and abroad. NIOS is the largest Open Schooling system in the world with cumulative enrolment of 4.13 million (during last 5 years).
Distance Education is an educational option that allows students to earn college credit or take classes for personal enrichment anytime, anywhere. These courses are delivered remotely. The students can complete their required field of study without having to be physically present in a classroom on any campus.
Global Academy helps you realize your academic dreams even though you are a working professional or busy homemaker who could not continue your studies during your busy time schedule. Distance stream or lack of time is not a dilemma anymore if you have the will to study. Under the distance education option, Global Academy offers correspondence courses from Secondary level to Post Graduation level via distance education scheme.