Distance education is modernized learning with the help of advanced technologies. Skill based courses, diploma, under graduation, post-graduation, etc can be done through distance education. Many universities provide affiliated courses in distance mode. Most working population opt for distance education for further development in their education. This helps them continue with their work at the same time they opt for higher studies.
One of the major universities in India that provide distance education are:
- IGNOU- Indira Gandhi Open University
- Annamalai University
- Symbiosis Distance Learning
- Madurai Kamaraj University
- Alagappa University
These universities have traditionally involved correspondence courses in which students correspond with the school by mail. Today, it is generally an online education. Some universities conduct online exams, some choose to conduct in regular mode where in students have to travel to the centre of examination.
The benefits of distance education include flexibility where students can learn whenever and wherever they want. It is self-paced where student can take their own time to complete the modules before exam. It is divided and segmented for easier understanding. Certain universities also provide tutor based recorded links of classes, online classes, etc.
There are various methods through which a students can apply for distance based education.
- Select the universities that you need to apply. Make sure that is affiliated by the government of your country and valid for your profession.
- Check their admission process. Certain colleges take admission based on academic years while some accept admissions year around.
- Complete the application form and submit with valid details. Certain colleges may require the reason for choosing distance learning. They may require many documents such as Id proof, photo, resume, current qualification, proof of English language competence, migration certificate, current working profile, etc.
- Prepare for interview and entrance tests. Many colleges conduct entrance exams or they verify your past educational percentage.
- Complete the enrolment process and wait for acceptance. Certain colleges send your acceptance letter through mail. So keep checking mail
- Check the dead line and pay the fees. Once the letter of acceptance is received check about the fees mentioned and pay accordingly.
There you go these are the basic steps that help in opting distance education.